Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Frightening Fourteen.

I know what you're thinking. A chick who signs up to run a marathon, which is 26.2 miles, really shouldn't be reduced to a quivering puddle of Jell-O every time her Team in Training coach ups the ante on her training schedule.  If you're in it for the full 26, you need to be prepared to do more than, you know, twenty minutes of cardio in preparation.

But did I mention that this Saturday, I am supposed to be running 14 miles?

Which seems infininitely larger than the 12 miles I completely two weeks ago.

It even seems bigger to me than the 13.1 miles I'm signed up to run in a week from now, when I do the Ft. Lauderdale AIA.

This is probably the point in training when a lot of people change their minds about doing the full marathon and switch to the half.

I haven't had any trouble so far ramping up my mileage...but I also haven't done 14 yet.

I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. I have a feeling that the less I think about the number 14, the easier it will be.

Sometimes you have to just close your eyes, hold your breath and jump in.

So Saturday morning at 5:15, I'll be jumping.

2 comments:

  1. Hey--Let's hear about what goes through your mind as you run this Saturday. :-)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not INFINITELY larger, just two miles. :) Two miles is a warm-up. Two miles is a breeze. You can do it! Stop thinking 14 and think "it's just two more miles... "
    I hope I can remember this when I start running longer. Although I'm only doing a half at this point.

    ReplyDelete