Sunday, September 20, 2009

Just another manic Sunday (my "Spin or sleep in?" update)

I did it. I slept in. But, I also took my spin class. (Although, I had every intention of skipping it! Really, I did.)

That's because when you set your alarm for 5:30 a.m. every morning, "sleeping in" (not setting an alarm clock) means you wake up, fully rested, at around 7 a.m.

I'm pretty sure it was 7 a.m. on the dot, in fact, when I opened my eyes to hear the sounds of my 3 year old daughter scraping her Parking Lot game across our already scratched up dining room table. Very nails-on-the-chalkboard if you've never heard what it sounds like when rough-edged hollow plastic cars are being pushed across waxed rubberwood.

I stumbled out of bed and was groggily explaining to her (pleading with her, to be exact) that she needed to do that on the floor--or perhaps, sweetie, not at all?--when my 6 year old son jumped out from behind a dark corner and yelled, "Boo!" startling me awake more than my alarm ever had.

Well, good morning indeed! I gave them both kisses on their shampoo-scented heads and into the kitchen I went to make us all a big Sunday breakfast.

OK, time for the yummy spinach feta omlette I daydreamed about yesterday. I drizzled some canola oil in my skillet, eased open an English muffin and placed it in the toaster, and was all set to enjoy a morning of leisure, when the onslaught began:

"Mommy, I don't want a pancake, I want a strawberry muffin."

"Mommy, this apple juice is cold. Can you make it warmer?"

"Mommy, 'My Friends Tigger & Pooh' is for babies. Can we watch 'SpongeBob' instead?"

"Mommy, can you go to the store right now and buy me three strawberry muffins?"

"There's too much cream cheese on my bagel!"

"My apple juice is HOT! Ouch, Mommy! Can you make it colder?"

"You scraped all the cream cheese off my bagel and now it's too plain! Can't you just get me a strawberry muffin? Why are you always out of them?"

At this point, I was beginning to think my planned "day of rest" had not actually off to such a restful start.

I was also beginning to think that pedaling in a dark, damp room to the sounds of blasting techno music and hard-core Sue shouting, "Come on, PUUUUUUUSSHHHHHHHHHH!" sounded about as relaxing as a cup of herbal tea. And fortunately, around that time my husband woke up.

So as soon as that English muffin was out of the toaster, it was tucked in my gym bag and I was out the door, speeding to grab one of the last available bikes available in the studio.

Oddly enough, I felt pretty relaxed as soon as I locked into those pedals. (Do other people feel more relaxed when their heart rates are elevated??) In fact, I felt sooooo good by the time Sue had spun me into a sweaty mess that I went home to happily enjoy the rest of my Sunday with my family (the fact that breakfast was no longer up for debate certainly helped.)

I think I'll take Monday off from exercising instead this week. I know I should have taken it easy today as I'd honestly intended to do, but I can't say I regretted one second of this fabulous cross-training session.

Although I definitely still have a hankering for a spinach-feta omlette...

No comments:

Post a Comment