Tuesday, January 26, 2010

So what happens after the finish line?

I don't mean to get ahead of myself, but after all of these months focused on the finish line January 31 (which is in less than a week!) I haven't thought at all about what I'm going to be doing, running-wise, on February 1.

Well, maybe not February 1. I plan to spend that day sleeping in and maybe catching a little South Beach sunshine, as I'll be staying at the hotel closest to the Miami ING start line.

But what about February 2, or 3 or 4...? I'm sure I'll want to train for a race again, eventually. But I also know I want to take some time to go back to just running for fun. (Which is why I got into racing in the first place.)

How far does a just-for-fun runner run? How often?

I have to say I am kind of looking forward to just running as far as my legs want to take me and not sticking to a schedule; to just glancing down at my Garmin out of idle curiosity to see what my pace is, instead of to make sure I'm going at a good speed.

6 comments:

  1. I am interested in this too.
    I think I'll probably always be training for SOMETHING; that's what keeps me going some days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I suspect! But I do get all nostalgic when I remember the days when I just ran to exercise, not to necessarily improve as a runner...you know, just to get out there, clear my head and maybe burn off that ice cream I shouldn't have eaten!!

    Is this week your last big run week? You taper next week, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my last big run. then taper then race. I'm starting to get nervous/excited. Are you racing with music?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked myself EXACTLY that question before running my first half, in December. The holidays (and awful weather) took care of the answer for a little while, but before I could figure out what Just-For-Fun mileage would be, I signed up for a half in March, and one in April, so I'm back on the proper training plan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elly, that sounds smart to me. I guess I will see how it goes and then sign up for another one!

    Kristen, good luck with the last big one. I am bringing music with me (I ran my first half with music) but my college roommate is flying in to run with me so I will probably chat and run some of the time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh! how fun! If I was running with my college roommate there would be much chatting.
    I am already signed up for another half in April. I think after that I will run for fun for a while. good luck Sunday! rock it!

    ReplyDelete