Saturday, November 20, 2010

What, me, exercise??

Doctor's orders: don't exercise until you're six weeks post-partum.

Question to the doctor: "OK, but what about walking with a baby stroller? That's not really 'exercise,' is it?"

Doctor: "You can walk, but don't 'power walk.'"

Hmmmm, what is this "power-walking" business she was talking about? I think it entails walking with your arms out like you're about to flap your wings and fly away. It's hard to do that when you're pushing a stroller, so I think I'm in the clear.

Since Charlie was one week old, he and I have retraced my old running paths--first with him in a stroller, then snuggled up to me in the Baby Bjorn. We did a 3 1/2-4 mile path with a friend on Wednesday (very slowly, no arm flapping involved), and although it wasn't easy by the end, my legs said, "We missed moving! Thank you!"

Walking a few miles at a time isn't so easy after a few months of no exercise, and four weeks of modified bed rest, followed by a c-section. But it's getting easier. Charlie will be three weeks old on Monday--and I have a feeling I'm going to need to bind my arms to my sides to keep my steps unempowered.

1 comment:

  1. I got passed at a race by a power walker. humiliating. anyway.. keep those arms down!

    ReplyDelete