Wednesday, February 17, 2010

How many times have you had this conversation with yourself?

I hate to invoke the image of the "angel on your shoulder" and the "devil on your shoulder," because I don't think skipping a run should be considered "evil," nor should completing a planned run be considered "angelic," but I'm at a loss for how else to describe the following back-and-forth I go through several times a week--and I'm sure you do, too.

Angel: It's 5:30! Time to get up and run!
Devil: It's 5:30. Time to stay asleep.
Angel: Come on, we set out our running clothes the night before. Let's go.
Devil: No. It's cold out there. And this bed is so warm...
Angel: How are we going to run 10 miles this weekend if we skip the short runs this week?
Devil: Maybe we could just not run 10 miles?
Angel: Get UP.
Devil: Will you please be quiet? I am trying to sleep.
Angel: Well, now that you're awake, let's get a move on. If we wait any longer, we'll only have time for 3 miles.
Devil: And that would be a tragedy because...?
Angel: Come on, we'll just have a nice, easy run today. No speed work. I promise.
Devil: Why even bother running if we're going to do it half-assed? How about we skip today and do a really good job tomorrow?
Angel: Look, we're wide awake. The running clothes await us. The running path awaits us. And have we ever regretted a workout after it's been completed?
Devil: Afterwards, no. But during? Sure.
Angel: Brat.
Devil: Nag.

So Angel wins, and off I go for my run, half enthusiastically, and half grudgingly. I hate the first 10 minutes. The second 10 minutes are bearable. And then after that, I don't want to stop. And yet, the Angel/Devil conversation repeats itself again and again. For some reason, the Devil almost never wins. (Which is why I really hate to refer to the running-adverse part of me as "the Devil," as the non-goody-goody part of me often wins during much more pressing moral debates.)

Do you have this conversation, too?

1 comment:

  1. Every. single. day. Uncanny. It goes exactly like that! except I have to be up by 4:30. I too hate the first 10 minutes. It's dark! and cold! and miserable! Thank goodness it gets better :)

    ReplyDelete