Thursday, December 17, 2009

Playing with the playlist (song suggestions welcome)

My brand-new Garmin is fully charged, my armband and heart monitor chest strap have been laundered and Febreezed, I've correctly matched up all of my L and R Nike Dri-Fit socks to avoid running with two left (or two right) socks on my feet, and if there were a reason to shine my running shoes, they would be shined.

I am prepared.

Let's just say that Saturday, the first day I am cleared to run again since my knee problem on December 2, could not possibly come sooner. Most importantly, I know I've gained strength in my quads from all this crack-of-dawn spinning--which, more than an April-fresh heart monitor chest strap, is what I really need to be road-ready again.

To add some fun and funk to my modest 4 miler on Saturday (I build up 2 miles a week till the half marathon Jan. 31, as per my coach's suggestion), I've been trying to put together a really high energy, kicky playlist about 50 minutes long. I have the most fun when running when I'm listening to tunes I'd enjoy dancing to--which is why I've got more Lady GaGa than Suzanne Vega on this one. But I've got a little jazz and some "grrl power" type tunes, too.


Here's what I've got so far; feel free to steal it if you're a fan of this same kind of spin-studio-inspired programming.


Imma Be Black Eyed Peas
Paper Planes M.I.A.
Do Your Thing Basement Jaxx
Bad Romance Lady GaGa
Tick Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Seven Nation Army The White Stripes
Sinnerman Nina Simone
Only Happy When It Rains Garbage
3 Britney Spears
Still in Hollywood Concrete Blonde
Where Did You Sleep Last Night Nirvana (MTV Unplugged version)
You Spin Me Round and Round Jessica Simpson
Johnny Feelgood Liz Phair
Awful Hole
Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) US3
I'm Too Sexy Right Said Fred

Am I missing any must-run-to tunes? If so, please suggest them in the comment section below or email me at joriemark@gmail.com. Even if I don't get them into Saturday's playlist, I've got a lot of miles ahead of me in the next month and a half, and a fresh new song always makes the run more fun.

5 comments:

  1. I love running to P!nk. Her music has a great beat and fun lyrics - definitely girl power. Have a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa! Just added "Funhouse." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cage the Elephant: Ain't no rest for the wicked
    Train: soul sister
    Jet: Are you gonna be my girl
    Ben Folds: The B!@#$ went nuts
    Queen: Don't stop me now

    These are my current running list favorites (well and a bunch that are also on your list)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, love "ain't no rest for the wicked." Will check out the others--thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Christina Agulara. She's got soul and she pumps me up. Also that song "Everytime we Touch" great for pumping up to...gets me running! um, when I run :-)

    ReplyDelete